By purchasing any services from Iron Leaf, you agree to the Terms of Service stated below:
We do business the old fashion way.
With a handshake.
By accepting our Terms of Service, you the client convey your trust, respect in Iron Leaf to do good work for you. Iron Leaf commits to openness, honesty, trust and dedication to your project as outlined in our agreement/project estimate.
That’s it. Hope you like our Terms of Service. The rest of the lingo below is for reference of how we work.
Payment Obligations, Renewals, and Cancellations
- Website Development Payment Obligations: A down payment of 50% is required in order to begin development of your website, unless an alternative contract or proposal specifies a different amount. The Final outstanding balance on your website is due after the site has been built.
- Website Development Cancellation: If site design and development work has already begun (such as creating a design concept), then the down payment is non-refundable. Iron Leaf may elect at its sole discretion to offer a partial refund depending upon the circumstances.
- Stock Photography Payment Obligations: Stock photography includes photos and/or images not provided by the client. Stock photography purchased on behalf of client for use in website development is billable. This amount is separate from the amount quoted for website design and development. in which case we will solicit client approval and communicate the price before purchasing.
- Description of Ongoing Costs: There are 2 types of ongoing costs: domain registration and hosting.
- Domain name registration: This cost recurs annually. Domain name registration gives you exclusive rights to a certain name, such as www.myorganization.org, so that you can use it for your web-based purposes. You are NOT required to register a domain through us, but we strongly PREFER that you do. If you have registered your own name, make sure you have yourself as the Registrant and Administrative Contact with a current, easily accessible email address. This will help to ensure that your domain can be renewed or transferred should the need arise. Domain name registration fees are not refundable and are billed annually (July-June).
- Hosting: This cost recurs annually. Hosting places the domain name on a particular server connected to the web, which allows you to post a website for viewing through a browser. You are NOT required to host through us, but we strongly PREFER that you do. Hosting comes with domain-based emails, bandwidth, storage space, database and other features.
- Hosting Renewal Payment Obligations: Your hosting account will be automatically renewed July-June and same fee structure unless you give written notice to Iron Leaf fifteen (15) days before the renewal date that you do not wish to renew the account.
- Hosting Cancellation Payment Obligations: You may cancel at anytime. Accounts that are terminated by Iron Leaf for abuse or violations of internet standards or these terms and conditions will not receive any refund. All cancellations must be received in writing according to the deadlines indicated: regular mail and e-mail are acceptable. Phone requests will not constitute acceptance of any cancellation. Refunds will be issued back to you within 10 business days from your cancellation date.
- Hosting Transfer Payment Obligations: If you wish to transfer your hosting to another provider Iron Leaf can, upon request, download your site onto a CD and mail it to you. The cost for this service $50 per copy. FTP access to your site is not available for transfer purposes.
- Sites NOT Hosted by Iron Leaf: Should client decide to host their site on another server, Iron Leaf cannot guarantee the all elements of the site will work. Iron Leaf will make a reasonable effort to research the problem to let the client know what we think the problem is. However, we cannot take responsibility for problems caused by or on another hosting server, including but not limited to email, FTP, SSL, database, server software, and site security issues. If Iron Leaf believes it will take a significant amount of time to fix the problem, we will advise the client before proceeding. In most cases, fixing problems on a foreign hosting server is billable.
- Website Maintenance: There are no required maintenance fees other than domain registration and hosting. Most people do some work on their site every year, for which we offer several plans. We make your site updatable by you by implementing WordPress, a Content Management System. For work we do on the site after going live, we charge on an hourly basis. If you expect that maintenance will be a regular occurrence, you can buy a prepaid maintenance contract that affords a discounted hourly rate. If need be, we can customize a maintenance plan for your particular needs, but no plan is required.
- Website Maintenance Payment Obligations: Depending upon the nature of the website changes, prepayment may be required. Should the client be invoiced after the changes are completed, the invoice is due within thirty (30) days. If payment is not received within 30 days, the maintenance changes may be taken down until payment is received.
- Homepage Design: Once the site design is approved by the client, usually via email consent, the design is considered ready for implementation. Should the client wish to make changes to a design they have approved, those changes are billable at our standard hourly rate.
- Navigation: Once site outline/map is approved by the client, usually via email consent, the site navigation is considered ready for implementation. Combined with the approved graphic design, this becomes the site structure. Once we build this structure per client approval, any subsequent changes are billable at our standard hourly rate.
- Content: Provision of content is the client’s responsibility, unless specifically negotiated ahead of time as part of the project proposal.
- Text content – Copy for all website pages and links needs to be delivered digitally and should be carefully proof-read by the client.
- Copy development – Iron Leaf does not provide development of content.
- Graphical content – Images outside of the website design must be provided in digital form or in a form that can be easily scanned, unless otherwise provided for in client’s contract. Subsequent revisions will be billable at our regular hourly rate.
- Database Implementation – Entry of data for database applications is considered client’s responsibility. Entry of data by Iron Leaf is billable, unless otherwise provided for in client’s contract.
- Email – We offer free domain-based email accounts to our clients as part of any hosting contract. If site is not hosted by Iron Leaf, we take no responsibility for setting up and troubleshooting email problems.
- Training – WordPress Content Management Systems trainings can be provided at our regular hourly rate.
- Technical Support – We offer local and long-distance phone and/or screen-sharing support to our clients. If Iron Leaf is not the source of the problem, technical support may be billable.
Training and Tutorials
Because customer service is in integral part of our business strategy, all of our projects include a one-time complimentary training session in order for our clients to better make use of their new web technology. Additional training hours can be purchased at our standard hourly rate or applied against your existing maintenance contract.
Domain Transfers and DNS Management
For domains not originally registered with Iron Leaf, there will be a $50 fee to either transfer to the domain into our registration platform, or to transfer-out to another registrar. If your domain is not registered with Iron Leaf, DNS management and troubleshooting tasks are billable at our hourly rate.
Websites with Proprietary Source Code
Iron Leaf utilizes software that has been built by a third party. Examples include WordPress blog software, Gravity Forms, etc… In these instances, clients will be subject to the terms and conditions of the third party who owns the software, and may use the software as a licensee only. No ownership rights of any kind are transferred to the client.
Website components that ARE transferable to another host include html code, graphics, logos, pictures, navigation, text, and the data residing within a database (but not the code). Hourly fees will apply for any special work that needs to be done to transfer those parts of website that do not violate the other paragraphs in this section.
Iron Leaf maintains and troubleshoots the websites we develop for our clients, as well as any domain-based email accounts of those websites. We do NOT assume responsibility for upkeep or provide non-billable troubleshooting on our clients’ ISPs (Internet Service Providers), ISP-based email accounts (firstname.lastname@example.org, etc), your home or office internet connections, or any other non-domain-based issues outside Iron Leaf’s realm of service. Provision of non-domain-based troubleshooting services will be billable at our normal hourly rate.